10/04/2006

Sock History

Lolly of the Socktoberfest posted on her blog about sharing our sock histories...well here is mine. It's pretty short considering I'm still pretty new to socks.


When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I signed up for the last Sock-a-palooza and that's when I taught myself about socks. I'd never knit a pair before.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
Since I gave them away (see above answer) I'm not sure how they have held up. I do know that the recipient liked them.

What would you have done differently? I'm not sure if I would have done anything differently. I followed the directions, which is how I usually succeed. Anything with clear directions is possible for me to make.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I used yarn I had picked up from Knitpicks for both the pairs I have made so far (yes, I've only made two pair). I really like how Lorna's Laces sock yarn looks and have some of it to experiment with.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I use DPNs. I'm not skilled enough to move onto the two circ method yet. I'm not even sure if I will.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) Had now idea there were different kinds of heels!

How many pairs have you made? Two, with a third on the needles.

You can see the ones I've made here and here.

2 comments:

JRS said...

As the recipient of Rebecca's first pair of socks, I can attest that they have held up very well! In fact, they've softened up considerably and are very comfy now.

Have fun with the newest sock swaps!

Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Hey Sockret Pal! I just wanted you to know that I have your package ready to send just as soon as 1 item that I have ordered arrives.

I hope you're having a wonderful week and lots of knitting fun!

Your Sockret Pal

P.S. When you get a chance, please fill in the measurements on the sock chart on your blog. : )